Eight domains of competence.
Psychologists must pass the national licensing exam before they are licensed. The exam is divided into eight domains. As I’ve said, psychologists do a number of different things. A quick look at these gives you an idea about areas that psychologists are expected to be knowledgeable in. I’ll be writing more about each of the domains.
- Biological Bases of behavior
- Cognitive-Affective Bases of Behavior
- Social and Multicultural Bases of Behavior
- Growth and Lifespan Development
- Assessment and Diagnosis
- Treatment, Intervention, and Prevention
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Ethical/Legal/Professional Issues
Kalea Chapman, Psy.D.